Homewood Collection - old
The Homewood Collection Photography Competition Purpose, Entry Rules and Guidelines
Welcome to the Inaugural Homewood Collection Competition webpage. The Homewood Collection will be the accumulation of photographic images selected in successive annual competitions. Homewood at Frederick is holding this photography competition in conjunction with, and initial funding from, the Homewood Foundation. The exhibition and sale will benefit Homewood at Frederick’s Woodlands Assisted Living Unit and promote an appreciation for photographic art. Photographers are asked to submit digital images for judging and selection. Twenty-four (24) images will be selected with one image designated as Best-of-Show. If selected for the Homewood Collection, photographers will be asked to submit a specially formatted high-resolution digital file that will be printed on large format, gallery-wrapped canvas at the Homewood Foundation’s expense. After reading the information provided below, if you have additional questions, please contact us at our email address: [email protected].
Who are Homewood at Frederick and the Homewood Foundation?
Homewood at Frederick is a non-profit continuing care retirement community of 650+ residents located in Frederick, MD; it is one of five campuses of Homewood Retirement Centers, Inc. More information can be found at https://homewoodfrederick.com/. The Homewood Foundation supports the Homewood Retirement Centers by securing charitable support for benevolent care for residents in need, capital campaigns for community enhancements, and special projects and activities within the Homewood communities.
What is the Homewood Collection Competition and Exhibition?
The Inaugural Homewood Collection Competition, exhibition and sale will consist of 24 curated images selected from the digital entries in this competition. A single canvas print of each selected digital image will be created at the Homewood Foundation's expense. Prints will be on 24” x 36” high-definition gallery-wrapped canvas. One of the selected images will be awarded Best-of-Show and will be prominently displayed on a 30” x 45” canvas print. All will be exhibited at Homewood at Frederick’s Crumland Farm Woodlands Assisted Living Gallery Hall for a period of one year.
Why the Homewood Collection Competition and Exhibition?
This exhibition of exceptional photographic art is envisioned to provide a stimulating and uplifting artful experience for the Homewood residents, staff, and the many visitors who frequently pass through Homewood’s Woodlands Assisted Living Gallery Hall. The exhibition will be refreshed through an annual Homewood Collection competition to promote an ongoing appreciation of photographic art.
During the one-year exhibition, the prints will be offered for sale to the public with pickup or delivery at the end of the exhibition. Proceeds will be used to sustain the annual Homewood Collection Competition and support the expansion of the arts for all residents of Homewood at Frederick.
Why Should You Enter?
- The Best-of-Show winning photographer will be the recipient of a $500.00 cash prize.
- There is no entry fee.
- Pull-through Sales: Following each of Homewood Collection’s annual exhibit and sale, your selected digital image(s) will be displayed on the Homewood at Frederick, Homewood Collection webpage with your contact information throughout the life of the Homewood Collection. Persons wishing to purchase a print from the digital Homewood Collection will be instructed to contact you directly to purchase. No commission or fee will be assessed by Homewood at Frederick or the Homewood Foundation.
- You retain all rights to your digital image(s) while you are granting permission to Homewood at Frederick to create one (1) canvas print of your image, which Homewood at Frederick will own, exhibit, and sell.
- Your image(s) will receive extended public exposure by being part of the Homewood Collection’s one-year exhibition.
- You have the right to market your selected image(s) as having been selected for exhibition as part of the Homewood Collection.
- You are supporting a highly regarded non-profit senior living community while enhancing the appreciation of photographic art by its residents, staff, and frequent public visitors.
- Proceeds from sales will be used to sustain the annual Homewood Collection exhibition and the arts at Homewood at Frederick.
- Your entry is being curated by an experienced judge, who is also an accomplished photographer in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Photographers who have their work chosen are affirmed in their efforts, skills, and generosity in supporting this activity.
Judging the Competition
The judge and curator for this Homewood Collection competition and exhibition is local photographer and experienced judge, Martin Heavner. Mr. Heavner has exhibited his photographs at galleries throughout the region for nearly 40 years. His work also has been published in magazines, calendars, electronic greeting cards, and a literary journal showcasing artists in the Appalachian Mid-Atlantic region. Martin frequently judges photography competitions for camera clubs and photo salons. He also was a juror for the multi-media Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts in State College, PA. He has been a member and officer in various regional camera clubs. Martin’s images can be seen at his website, www.HeavnerPhoto.com, and his Instagram account, @m.heavner.
How to Enter Your Digital Image(s)
Before entering the competition, please read the “Photographer's Rights and Use of Images by Homewood at Frederick” section at the end of this document.
Important Milestone Dates for the Homewood Collection Competition, Exhibition and Sale
- February 8, 2023 - Webpage available for entries.
- April 1, 2023 - Deadline for digital image entry submission.
- April 21, 2023 - Email notification to photographers whose images are selected for exhibition.
- May 7, 2023 - Deadline to upload selected images in high-definition format.
- June 23, 2023 - Homewood Collection exhibition public unveiling event.
Theme for 2023: "What I Saw on My Way"
For the Inaugural Homewood Collection Competition, the selected theme will be "What I Saw on My Way". The theme is the single category of the exhibition. Use your imagination to apply this theme; the judge will be looking for images that speak to this vision. All the rules and guidelines herein will apply.
Natural subjects, including landscapes, isolated scenes or arrangements, wildlife, wildflowers, insects or macros and the like are preferred. Buildings and other structures are acceptable, particularly if they showcase a regional historic or cultural character or are part of the landscape. Abstract images, without a recognizable subject, are discouraged. Photo illustrations, such as composites, or strongly altered images are acceptable so long as they do not, in the opinion of the judge, misrepresent the subject or its context or otherwise tend to mislead the viewer. Images that portray abuse, misuse or degradation of nature are not acceptable. Nude images will not be appropriate. Both color and black and white images are acceptable. Images of people are acceptable, but images of recognizable people should not be submitted unless a release signed by the subject(s) or legal guardian(s) can be provided. You can use either the form provided by Homewood at Frederick, or your own form, provided it covers the use of images as specified in “Photographer's Rights and Use of Images by Homewood at Frederick” at the end of these guidelines.
Preparing and Submitting Entries for Judging
Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to submit entries. There is no charge for submitting entries. Photographers may submit up to four (4) digital images for judging. Selections of the judge are final and not subject to appeal.
For an entry(s) to be considered for this competition it must meet these criteria:
- Entered images must be original and created by the submitting photographer.
- Aspect ratio: 3:2 in horizontal or vertical orientation. Entries must adhere to this aspect ratio to eliminate undesirable cropping at the time of printing.
- All entries are to be in JPEG format with medium-high to high quality with low compression.
- Color space of sRGB.
- Images will be no larger than 2,000 pixels on the “long side”.
- 72 DPI is recommended.
- Image file size to be no larger than 5 MB.
- Do not include any signature, watermark, border, frames, or any graphic overlay. Images containing such markings will not be judged.
The images will be judged using a webpage viewed through a browser, so they should be sized to fit on a single screen, without scrolling. Images that are too large may be reduced to fit the screen and may suffer loss of sharpness as a result. Use your photo software to resize the image to these dimensions and save it as a separate file for submittal. It is recommended that you apply sharpening to the image(s) at their final size and be careful not to over sharpen.
Submitting Your JPEG Entry
All entries must be submitted no later than the deadline of April 1, 2023.
The Entry Link is located at the end of this Rules and Guidelines Document
The section below is only for photographers whose image(s) are selected to be part of the Inaugural Homewood Collection Competition Exhibition. It is provided so all entrants know what will be required should their image(s) be selected for exhibition.
Notification of Selection for Homewood Collection Exhibition and Sale
Photographers whose entry(s) are selected for exhibition will be notified by email no later than April 21, 2023. This will include the Best-of-Show $500.00 prize winner.
Your email notification will include:
- An attachment with all necessary instructions to upload your high-resolution image(s) to the Homewood Collection drop box.
- A General Information Form that you will need to complete and return by email.
- If applicable, a release form to be signed by the subject(s) or legal guardian(s) as described previously in the Subject Matter section.
Your selected image(s) must meet the following criteria for printing:
- The image(s) must be identical to the entry image(s).
- Aspect ratio: 3:2 in horizontal or vertical orientation.
- File type: TIFF
- Color space: Adobe RGB 1998 (this is the color space used by our printer).
- Image(s): A high-resolution TIFF file to be used for printing; this should be at least 3600 pixels on the “long side”.
Fair Market Value: Homewood at Frederick intends to sell the standard sized prints for $300 and the Best-of-Show print for $500. We do not want to undervalue or impact the market value of your photographic work. As such, we will ask that you provide a minimum fair market price for your image(s) if your required price exceeds the values stated herein. If applicable, you can provide this information on the General Information Form included with the selection notification email.
The selected Homewood Collection image(s) must be uploaded for printing no later than May 7, 2023. Return all required forms to [email protected] no later than May 7.
We recommend that you create your high-resolution TIFF formatted image at the same time you create your JPEG entry to assure identical images per our requirements.
By entering this competition, you acknowledge you have read, agree to and grant all permissions as stated, in the below Rights and Use agreement.
Photographer's Rights and Use of Images by Homewood at Frederick
The photographer retains all rights to the digital images(s), both those that are submitted and selected for exhibition and sale, and those that are not selected. If the photographer’s digital image(s) is not selected the image(s) file(s) will be deleted. If selected, the photographer agrees to grant Homewood at Frederick permission, at the Homewood Foundation’s expense, to produce a single high-definition print for exhibition and sale. The proceeds will benefit the non-profit Homewood at Frederick. Any prints that are not sold from the annual exhibition may be offered to the original photographer at a discounted price. The canvas prints may also be marketed or displayed through other means of Homewood at Frederick’s choosing. Selected digital images may also be used incidentally for publicity or promotion of the exhibition itself. Following each annual Homewood Collection exhibit and sale, the Homewood Collection images will be digitally presented on the Homewood at Frederick, Homewood Collection webpage with the photographer’s name and contact information. Persons wishing to purchase a print from the digital Homewood Collection will be directed to contact the photographer directly to make the purchase. No commission or fee will be assessed by Homewood at Frederick or the Homewood Foundation. The photographer may at any time request that their name and/or contact information be removed from the image, but by entering the competition, the photographer grants Homewood at Frederick the permission and right to display the selected digital image(s) in non-downloadable form throughout the life of the Homewood Collection.
Do not submit a high-resolution file as your initial entry.
Only JPEG images as specified should be entered at this time.
If any issues arise uploading your entry or you have questions, please contact us immediately at: [email protected]